Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning Frequency

2000-12-14 12:31:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning Frequency
From: Dave Pearson (EML) Dave.Pearson AT eml.ericsson DOT se
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:31:51 +0100
We also have an L11000 and haven't been able to get TapeAlert (cleaning when a
drive requests it) to work.
Sun told us it is a known problem and they have reported it to Veritas.

We used to clean our drives every 20 hours until we started getting lots of
media write errors. We had all the
drives replaced and the problems went away. The engineer said the drives are
basically self-cleaning and
even if the light does come on it usually goes out when the next tape is
loaded. However, he suggested 120
hours as a reasonal interval for scheduled cleaning. So we set it to that and,
so far, no cleaning lights and
no more errors.

Dave Pearson
Ericsson Mobile Communications (UK) Ltd.
* +44-1256-864700
* dave.pearson AT eml.ericsson DOT se