Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup re-configuration

2000-11-30 09:45:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup re-configuration
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 06:45:12 -0800 (PST)
Eric:

First of all, it is recommended that you have either Veritas Consulting or
one of their Consulting partners there to assist you in this process.
While it can go very smooth in some cases, it can become an ugly mess in
others.

First Question:

1. Will HP be the platform for the new server?

2. Are you completely familiar with the architecture of the (NBU)
databases?

3. Have you attended the NBU Fundamentals and Advanced Training
Classes?

4. Will the current machine remain the master or become the media server?

If you answer no or kind of to either answer 2 and or 3, may I suggest
reading the Functional Overview section of the Troubleshooting Guide,
Appendix A.  This will prove to be your downfall if you do not understand
how the information flows.  However, if you do, you should be able to make
this work...

I have a whole series of pre-flight questions that I insist my clients
fill out prior to me coming on site to perform such an event.  If you'd
like to send me your proposed plan, I would be happy to add any commentary
that may help you in this process.

Just remember the golden rule, take TWO backups of your NBU DBs.

I know this doesn't outline the procedure, but each one potentially is
different.

David Chapa
David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager