Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Verifying that what's on the tape is what's on the disk

2000-11-21 14:44:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Verifying that what's on the tape is what's on the disk
From: Donna Nadimi donna.nadimi AT lucasfilm DOT com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:44:53 -0800
I've been asked to provide proof that the contents of the files backed up is
exactly what is on the client disk.  Could someone give me some verbiage to
use that proves that the backup is indeed a good backup of the files backed
up?  Maybe some details on exactly how netbackup reads the files and backs
them up?

I guess with other backup utilities there is a verify command that provides
this proof.  The verify command in Netbackup provides proof that what's on
the tape is consistent with what's in Netbackup's database.

Yuck.  My answer of "what was on the disk at the time is what's on the tape"
was not a thorough enough response. ;(

--donna

Unix *is* user friendly.  It's just picky about who its friends are.

Donna Nadimi
UNIX Systems Engineer
Lucasfilm Ltd.
(415)662-1956