Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Towers of Hanoi type differential

2000-10-25 17:24:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Towers of Hanoi type differential
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:24:53 -0500
Hello Hal

Thanks,  I'm coming to the same conclusion.   I'm thinking of doing incrementals
and cumulatives, both with two day frequencies and to different volume pools and
a weekend full to reset the sequence.   Normally I like to do fulls as
infrequently as possible since they are the ones that do not scale and if I only
do fulls once a month, I can let them spread out and load balance themselves
over all the weekends in a given month; however this site already does weekly
fulls so staying with that would not be a problem.   The goal is redundancy
against any single failure and a failed 50 Gbyte AIT tape can affect a lot of
backups.   Too bad we can't define class specific differentials ie.: have the
differentials backup what's changed since the last backup in the same class
because then alternately scheduled classes with different volume pools would be
all that's required.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Broadband Services
3 Allen Center, Room 337C
PH (713) 345-6238

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          hskelly@collt|
|        |          ech.com      |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/25/00     |
|        |          03:54 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     John Wang/Contractor/Enron Communications@Enron              |
  |       Communications                                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                  |
  |       Subject:     Re: [Veritas-bu] Towers of Hanoi type differential      |

Oops, I'm reading 2 lists (Networker and Netbackup) and got confused.  No,
there is no way to do TOH in Netbackup.  You might want to investigate a
simple scheme (assuming weekly fulls) of: F-I-C-I-C-I-C  and how your backup
load (how much changes in a file system over what period of time).  You
may be able to get more consistant recovery this way.
Hal

  _                       _  | Hal Skelly, consultant
 |_| C o l l e c t i v e |_| | Solaris and storage mgmt.
 |___    Technologies   ___| |
     []               []     | BEST WAY:  hskelly AT colltech DOT com
   http://www.colltech.com   | Pager: 1-800-946-4646, pin 1468718