Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Where are the free tapes?

2000-04-19 14:18:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Where are the free tapes?
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:18:53 -0500 (CDT)
if you do

vmquery -a -bx | grep -i tld

This is what you will see in your media manager
interface.  Look at the time assigned field if it is
anything other than --- the tape is not available for
re-use.

Additionally, you may be running into a problem of
plenty of tapes but none of the same retention level as
the scheduled backs that ran last night.  If that is
the case, Netbackup by default, will not co-locate
mixed retention level backups.  You can change that in
your server bp.conf file, but it isn't recommended.

available_media in the goodies directory will give you
the status of the media.  That's the closest thing to
finding out what's 'writeable' without including a big
script here.

good luck.

-David Chapa
DataStaff, Inc.

Quoting Arthur Darren Dunham <add AT netcom DOT com>:

> Netbackup complained that I'm out of free tapes last
night.  So this
> morning I ran a media report on that media server.
>
> When I do, it shows me 8 FULL tapes.  Since there are
37 tapes in the
> robot, are the rest empty?
>
> When I run a 'media contents' report on one of the
tapes that doesn't
> get reported as full, this is what I get.
>
> [sjc01-netbackup] media id = HQ1001, allocated
04/11/00 20:40,
> retention level = 0
>
> [sjc01-netbackup] File number 1
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Backup id = proddw_0955500044
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Creation date = 04/11/00 20:40
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Expiration date = 04/18/00 20:40
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Retention level = 0
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Copy number = 1
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Fragment number = 2
> [sjc01-netbackup]   Block size (in bytes) = 32768
>

> I can't run a 'images on media' report for this
volume, the report
> dies.  It only allows the other 8 tapes to be used.
I presume from
> this that the media has no images on it.
>
> Is there a specific command I can run to ask "how
many writeable tapes
> are present in this robot?"
>
> Thanks...
> --
> Darren
Dunham
ddunham AT taos DOT com
> Unix System Administrator                    Taos -
The SysAdmin Company
> Got some Dr
Pepper?                                      Santa
Clara, CA
>       < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,
please disperse >