Networker

Re: [Networker] How to use savepnpc with a backup "set" command?

2013-07-25 11:32:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to use savepnpc with a backup "set" command?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:25:01 -0400
> Let us be careful with the terminology and the DR.
>
> Of course, if you want a working system, you must get everything
> back - no doubt.

I am curious why you would *not* want a working system, if you are
including the DR saveset. Why include it, if you don't want a working
system?

> The DR contains just everything to do a BMR and get NW to a point to
> proceed from here for the final/residual restore processes.

Yes, but: I submit that a "working" DR-recovered system that does not
include all the "system critical" volumes is not a "working" system. If
you are including the DR saveset, it is because you want/need to be able
to do a DR recover (using the DR method, the bootable ISO image). If you
don't have all the system critical volumes, then the system - while it may
boot - is not truly "working".

It's a bit like saying "The operation was a success, but the patient
died". :-)

Like you, and Tim, I have systems where the DR procedure is to rebuild the
OS from scratch; install the application; configure it; restore the data
folders/drives. In these such cases, there is no real need for a DR
saveset backup, as you're not doing the special sequence of commands that
the DR backup was created to support.

But if you do want to do a DR recover (or BMR - Bare Metal Recovery), you
need the DR saveset .. *and* everything that special saveset thinks is
required (all system critical drives). And as we have seen, effectively
that is more than just a few KB. The DR saveset is kinda useless without
all of what it thinks are the system critical volumes, don't you think?
The system you have just recovered using the DR backup won't work the same
as the system it was backed up on, if it doesn't also have it's system
critical volumes.

Now, it may be possible that NW is smart enough to fully do a working BMR
from a backup that was only the DR saveset, and another backup that was
all other drives. In other words, from 2 client definitions, as we
discussed.

Me, I have no intention of finding out I am wrong, and it won't result in
a fully working system, during a DR scenario. :-) And I don't really have
a lot of free time, to play around with it and find out.