Networker

Re: [Networker] [Networker] AFTD device/nsrstage command with 8.0.1.5

2013-07-01 12:15:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Networker] AFTD device/nsrstage command with 8.0.1.5
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:07:54 -0400
> I am assuming that others made the same assumption that I did when
> you said you were doing these things by script - that you were
> running a script that kicked off the cloning (nsrclone) and staging
> (nsrstage) and then deleting the save sets.

Ah. No. The script is only for deleting the savesets, not creating them.
All my jobs are from the GUI, no save/clone job starts from script. The
only thing I start from script is the bootstrap/CFI job (savegrp -O).

> Both the nsrclone and the nsrstage commands have -y and -w arguments
> that allow you to define the retention and browse times
> (respectively) for the save set that is being created.

Since I am not doing the nsrclone or nsrstage by CLI, I'm assuming that
the retention and browse are set at the client level. At least, that's
been my experience.

> There is also ( I think, this is new in NW 8 ) the ability to create
> actual clone jobs via NMC that will pick up save sets that do not
> have clones and create them.  I haven't gotten to that yet.

Me, either. :-) But then, I've only been running NW 8 since Thu ...

> I'm surprised that you are able to use the clone check box on your group
> definitions.  I had to give that up back in the 7.3 days when it
> just got to the point that NW's self cloning was causing too much
> tape drive contention and was actually causing more save groups to
> fail than to succeed.

Yeah, I really only ever do it that way (via checkbox on group
definition). I've never really had a problem. I definition a medial pool
for disk based output (AFTDs), put the AFTD devices in there, assign the
groups that are to be cloned to it, and then have a separate clone tape
pool that is assigned to a certain number of tape drives.

And it all Just Works, really ...

The script is for deleting the savesets from disk, and that's all, really.