Networker

Re: [Networker] Getting a NW 8 update enabler

2013-06-24 12:12:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Getting a NW 8 update enabler
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:00:24 -0400
> Hi Michael - The upgrade enabler is automatically applied by
> NetWorker. In essence, the first step of the update/licensing
> process has been automated for you in the NW code. We changed that
> process several years/releases ago to eliminate the call to EMC
> Support to get an enabler.
>
> The second step of the licensing process is to contact
> Licensing AT EMC DOT com to get the authorization code for your HostID. The
> NetWorker code gives you 45 days from the day of the update to lock
> licensing down with an auth code.

Yet I still need to call (or email) Licensing to get the authorization
code. That's something I can't get from the website, something I can't do
myself. And - in my opinion, only - something that should easily be
available from the website. At the very least, a notice on the website
that says "If you're looking for an update enabler, you can't get it here.
Email licensing instead".

I dread having to re-host my other server, and get new enablers for all
the licneses entered there (from the website, for some reason I have
multiple site IDs, and some of the licenses are for one site, some for
another. I really don't want to enter 61 new enabler codes, much less have
to enter them all on the re-host portion of the website. Client licenses,
storage nodes, backup tier levels - I have all sorts of entries I have to
go an touch, because I moved my server from one machine to another. And I
have to authorize them all now, before they expire - for some reason, I
only got 14 days grace period when I moved the server.

Later, I will have to rename it - more re-enabling, no doubt - and then
upgrade it to NW 8, as well. And probably yet more re-enabling ...

Sorry for being so grumpy, but NW licensing changes are a big pain. Not
your fault, of course.