Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato skipping tapes

2013-06-14 13:56:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato skipping tapes
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:48:39 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Legato skipping tapes, gunnerjoe said (at 9:52am...:

Legato wrote tape 0019 until full, skipped tape 0020 and 0021, then
wrote 640GB to tape 22 which is still appendable, then went back to tape
20 and has written 127GB and counting to that tape.

Ideas about this strange behavior?

Volume name has nothing to do with how it chooses tapes, so the fact
that it skipped 0020 and 0021 is not surprising.  The algorithm
that's used has been explained a few times on the list, check the email
archives for more information.

That it didn't fill 0022 before it used a different tape is a bit odd,
but then again I haven't reviewed the explanation of the algorithm in
a long time, so maybe it's explained too.

You don't mention whether there are different pools involved here, but
I assume they should all be in the same pool.  I also assume this is *not*
a clone pool, as that also impacts volume selection.

Carsten also had a good point -- were any recoveries interspersed in
between the first volume being used and the second?

Tim
edu