Networker

Re: [Networker] Compression Question

2013-04-18 20:25:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compression Question
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 00:18:56 +0000
Joe,

The native data capacity for an LTO-5 tape is 1.5 TB.  The 3 TB you were quoted
assumes a 2 to 1 compression ratio which is typically used for marketing
purposes.  What compression ratio you actually get depends on the data you are
backing up.

We have LTO-4 tapes which have a native capacity of 800 GB and we typically get
900-1200 GB on them so it sounds to me like you're doing ok on your compression
if your data mix is similar to ours.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon