Networker

[Networker]

2012-11-02 04:49:15
Subject: [Networker]
From: Tony Albers <Tony.Albers AT PROACT DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 08:48:35 +0000
Hi Matthew,

I support DXi's and networker on an everyday basis.

The 4xxx is entry-level and hasn't got that many ways of connecting,
furthermore it cannot be used as a vtl if you had that in mind.

The thing you need to make sure if you use it via NFS is to do NFS
tuning on your backup server. That will improve performance a lot.
Don't even consider using CIFS, it generally sucks on the DXi's (just MHO).

Also make sure you're running the newest firmware on the DXi itself. I
think it's 2.1.3 right now.

Also make sure that replication is set up and working before you put
backup data on the DXi's, because without replication you have a single
point of failure.

What kind of retention are you planning to have or are you using? The
dedupe feature of the DXi gets better the longer the data stays on it.

MS Exchange data is not good for dedupe. So if you have a lot of that,
consider keeping your tape library for it or use a normal disk storage
system for the exchange backups.

Regarding the GigE interface, you can bond them together if you like.
That'll give you sufficient network performance considering the number
of spindles in the 4xxx series.

Most of our customer using DXi's have the data on them for 1-3 months
and then use tape for the longer retention times. You could set all
clients to backup to the DXi with 3 months retention and then use
scheduled cloning with longer retentions to tape pools.

/tony

Tony Albers  - Technical Consultant  -  Proact Systems A/S
Tel: +45 7010 1132 - Mobile: +45 2210 5208 - Fax: +45 7010 1142
toal AT proact DOT dk  www.proact.dk - We secure mission-critical information -