Networker

[Networker] Aborted save set?

2011-11-17 17:16:23
Subject: [Networker] Aborted save set?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:14:19 -0500
I know I've asked this question before, but it's been a while, so I can't recall the answer, but just need to clarify.

If you have a save set that fails an incremental then will the next incremental ignore that one and simply base everything on what's changed since the previous one (the one before the failed one)?

This is a really big save set, and I'd prefer not to have to run another full or a numeric unless I have to.

I'm curious if I can rely on the next incremental to really be what it would have been if, say, the previous failed one had never run.

The save set failed with this message in the savegroup completion e-mail notification:

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---

* client1:/disk1/data 1 retry attempted
* <SEVERE> : remote exec problem for command `save -s server -g group1 -LL -f - -m server -t 1320909810 -o RENAMED_DIRECTORIES:index_lookup=on;BACKUPTIME:lookup_range=1317798865:1320909810 -l incr -q -W 78 -N /disk1/data /disk1/data': Connection refused

Cloning is enabled for the pool (pool1), but in the case of the failed incremental, no clones were made (copies=1).

If it helps, here's a list from mminfo for the save set (/disk1/data), beginning with the day before the failed incremental:

mminfo -s bootes -q 'savetime>11/10/11,name=/disk1/data,pool=pool1' -xc'|' -ot -r 'name,savetime,sumsize,totalsize(4),sumflags,ssflags,clflags,copies'
name|date-time|sum-size|total|flags|ssflags|clone-flags|copies
/disk1/data|2011-11-10|72 GB|72 GB|cb|vF||2
/disk1/data|2011-11-11|196 GB|196 GB|ca|vrEiF|E|1
/disk1/data|2011-11-15|561 GB|561 GB|cb|vF||2
/disk1/data|2011-11-16|4  B|4  B|cb|vF||2
/disk1/data|2011-11-17|4  B|4  B|cb|vF||2

I thought when NW runs an incremental for a save set, it looks at the date/time of the previous incremental as it appears in the media database, and then any files whose modtime (actually, change of file status time) is later than that will then be backed up, but if the previous incremental was aborted then it would instead look at the one before that, and so on and so forth. And the client file index does not get read unless a recovery is run, never mind the fact that entries were undoubtedly made in the client index since 196 GB were backed up before the save set failed.

I can remove the aborted save set entry (ssid) from the media database (nsrmm), but is there any harm leaving it in there? I'm not concerned about the additional space being used in the CFI. That will get cleared out over time.

Thanks,

George

--
George Sinclair