Networker

Re: [Networker] Why can't I change the browse time on this CFI?

2011-09-20 15:59:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why can't I change the browse time on this CFI?
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:57:21 +0100
Hi Michael

No, it doesn't work that way.

This is how it works.

The CFI is an online db. It contains file information about your savesets on
your media.

A saveset is browsable as long as the relevant index records are is still
online (i.e. on the server under /nsr/index by default)

When the browse retention of a regular saveset (e.g. " /home") expires, then
the associated index records are removed from the server and you cannot
browse the /home files from that saveset anymore (unless you can recover
those records)

Even if your saveset retention has not expired you can still do a saveset
recovery. However if you want to be able to browse that saveset and perform a
file recovery, then you will have to recover the client file index first
(that is, if you have a recoverable saveset with the relevant client file
index records -- i.e. from that savetime).

Changing the retention of the index saveset will not put those records back on
the server magically. You need to recover the index using nsrck -L7 (or scan
the saveset -- note: scanner won't recover the index of some savesets -- like
NDMP).

Note: The data saveset doesn't have to be browsable to recover the index. If
it is already browsable why would you want to recover the index?  It was the
nsrck -L7 of a recoverable index saveset what did the trick. The retention of
the index saveset could have been any date as long as it was in the future.

The retentions of the index saveset and regular saveset are irrelevant as long
as they have not expired. If they have, then nsrmm can be used to set the
retention "back to the future" ;-).

Also note: It is possible to configure NW not to backup the index of some
client and yet set an "infinite" browse policy for that client.

jee