Networker

[Networker] NetWorker client on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

2010-02-26 11:39:27
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker client on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:37:15 -0600
All-

We're being asked to back up a new Intel-based Mac OS Xserve server
running OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard).  We realize OS X 10.6 is not on
the software compatibility guide for either the 7.5.2 client or the 7.6
client (both of which we've tried).  We have found a couple of blog posts
from Preston indicating that he was able to get it to work, apparently
without much difficulty, but we've had several problems.

The client is

      Model Name: Xserve
      Model Identifier: Xserve3,1
      Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
      Number Of Processors: 2
      Total Number Of Cores: 8

      System Version: Mac OS X Server 10.6.2 (10C540)
      Kernel Version: Darwin 10.2.0
      64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Our server (which doesn't even factor into these issues) is NetWorker
7.4.5 (soon to be 7.5.2) on RHEL 5.4 on i686.

The issues we're seeing:

- When the OS X sysadmin starts up nsrexecd on the OS X client, he gets:

SystemStarter start NetWorker
Starting NetWorker Client.
/Library/StartupItems/NetWorker/NetWorker: line 10:  4667 Illegal
instruction     /usr/sbin/nsrexecd

  Despite the complaint, nsrexecd does actually start and stay running,
  but "Illegal instruction" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

- portmapper on the OS X client is apparently supposed to start
  automatically as needed (by "launchd"), however when I use "rpcinfo"
  to probe the client, it is not started and rpcinfo finds nothing.

- the OS X sysadmin was able to force portmapper to start and stay
  running, so that rpcinfo finds it, but even with nsrexecd running,
  rpcinfo only shows portmapper.  It appears that nsrexecd is not
  registering with portmapper, possibly because of the message it
  outputs when it starts.

- savegrp probes of the client fail completely:

40473:savegrp: command ' savefs -s nwserver-s.nodak.edu -c
osx-client-s.ndsu.nodak.edu -g BackupGroup -p -l full -R -v' for
client osx-client-s.ndsu.nodak.edu exited with return code 1.
32496:savegrp: job (1090160) host: osx-client-s.ndsu.nodak.edu savepoint:
osx-client-s.ndsu.nodak.edu:All had SEVERE indication(s) at completion.
savegrp BackupGroup: Warning - the job output is NULL
7340:savegrp: osx-client-s.ndsu.nodak.edu:probe abandoned.

Anyone encountered these issues with the OS X client, and have any
suggestions for working around them?

Thanks,

Tim
edu