Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone ever seen this?

2009-12-08 08:50:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone ever seen this?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 07:47:53 -0600
> George Sinclair
>
> I think it's generally safer to import the tape using:
>
> nsrjb -j libname -d -S slot_num
>
> and then do the inventory once it's been deposited in the slot.

On our previous libraries, I always did this (unless I had a lot of tapes
to swap), but these are Sun L100s (Quantum L2500s, I think) and they're
configured with no ports for max capacity. So, I have to open the doors. I
just make sure there's no picker activity when I do. Maybe I missed
something, though. In 5+ years of using them, this is the first time I've
seen this happen.

> That message is typical when you have a disabled drive. I always see
> that - one for each such disabled drive, but it shouldn't prevent you
> from inventorying the tape in another available drive, but it will
> report on juts about every nsrjb command.

My thoughts exactly.  :-)

> Is it possible that you have a bar code, with bar code reader enabled,
> and it just inventoried it from the bar code and never had to physically

> load it? Alternatively, perhaps that pool is not allowed to use the
> available devices?

No - The tape has been used/loaded many times; in fact, the data I need to
restore is on it and one other tape. The pool/devices are also correctly
configured.

> You should be able to run: nsrjb -s server -j jukebox -I -S slot_num -f
> /dev/rmt/5ubn to force it to use that device, assuming the pool
> configuration doesn't prohibit it.

Exactly, but it didn't. First time I've seen that.

> NW can be very picky with this. Did you see any Invalid argument
> messages? If it thinks there's something in there, even from how ever
> far back, then you have to end up putting something in there and
> unmounting it and let it do what it wants until it completes the
operation.

No messages other than it telling me about the disabled drive.

> I've seen things get so fowled up that I had to stop/restart the
> software on the snode to straighten it out. It would get to the point
> where any 'nsrjb' commands would just run forever and nothing would ever

> do anything. This happens sometimes when NW gets confused over a tape
> that it thinks is in a drive but isn't, never mind what I think.
> Regardless of how much we try to make sense out of it, sometimes you
> have to just manually insert a tape into the affected drive and still
> stop/restart NW and then subsequently unmount it in order to wrest
> control over the whole ensemble.

Yep. Same here. I'm going to cancel cloning in a little while, get this
straightened out and them complete these clones from where we left off. I
would love to know exactly where/how this state information is held and
how to clear it, but so far, no luck.

Thanks for the reply.