Networker

[Networker] Offsite tape storage <OT>

2009-10-20 09:25:12
Subject: [Networker] Offsite tape storage <OT>
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:21:39 -0400
While not a networker topic, it does come under the disaster and recovery
umbrella.  I was wondering if folks are using in-house management of off-site
storage of their tapes or a commercial vendor such as Iron Mountain.  We've
been managing our off-site storage in-house, rotating tapes out on a monthly
basis.  While it is at a different physical location, it's not far enough if
there were a regional disaster.  To date, we've not used the cloning
capabilities of networker.  I know that we'd need to clone for real offsite
storage.  I've been tasked to research and recommend a solution for offsite
tape storage.  I've sent out queries to several companies, but most of the
information seems to be hitting on the "cloud" solution vs the "old" tape
vaulting.

In the scheme of things, we are rather small.  One site, one networker server,
under 5TB total data storage.  Other than DPM, we go from client to tape with
room to spare.  What is anyone doing for this part of their backup activities,
and is there anyone using someone other than Iron Mountain?

Patti Clark - RHCT, GSEC
Sr. Linux/UNIX System Administrator
Office of Scientific and Technical Information