Networker

Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions

2009-08-17 10:05:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:00:20 -0400

We are using Quantum's encryption key manager, Q-EKM.  It's a relabel of IBM's
EKM.  It's fairly straight forward to set up and once installed, it's mostly a
"set it and forget it" system.  Make an occasional backup of the key manager
components and key file to media and store appropriately.  All of the
encryption activity is between the Q-EKM software, the library, and the tape
drives.  I still get excellent compression on my LTO-4 tapes.  We are
considered to be a small-medium operation.  The cost of encryption is
affordable - as Stan said, we don't want tapes falling out the back of the
offsite transport truck and becoming a news story.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI