Networker

Re: [Networker] Newbie question: Networker 7.1.4 - scanning in tapes?

2009-02-11 19:33:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Newbie question: Networker 7.1.4 - scanning in tapes?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:40:10 +1100
On 12/02/2009, at 06:16 , lupin the 3rd wrote:

For future reference, is there any way to send the media indexes along with the backup tapes? Can we just copy certain files from the source backup server to the target server? Or somehow write these indexes to a tape? That way we avoid the lengthly re-indexing process when we need to restore?

It entirely depends on what you want to achieve. If you're scanning tapes in to a disaster recovery server - i.e., this isn't to transfer tapes from one NetWorker server to another, but within the disaster recovery datazone, then your best bet is to run mmrecov on the DR server to bring back in your bootstrap details, then from there run an index recovery - nsrck -L7 clientName.

If however you're wanting to regularly transfer media between one NetWorker server and another, scanner is the way you need to go.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog:

http://nsrd.wordpress.com