Networker

[Networker] mminfo - nsrmm disagreement on state of volume?

2009-01-26 10:31:30
Subject: [Networker] mminfo - nsrmm disagreement on state of volume?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:28:46 -0600
Am I missing something here?

I came in this (Monday) morning and my test environment adv_file device
was full. Not that unusual, since I have little disk space there and it
happens from time to time, so I checked on it. The stage pool tape
("stage.01" in a standalone drive, not an autochanger) was also full:

    Jan 23 23:16:05 <host> root: [ID 702911 local0.alert] Sun
StorageTek(TM) Enterprise Backup media: (critical) Waiting for 1 writable
volumes to backup pool 'stage' tape(s) or disk(s) on <host>

So I unmounted it, inserted a recyclable volume ("stage.02") and mounted
it up. Not an ideal setup, but it's only a small test environment, right?
:-)

    [root@<host>] /nsr/index # nsrmm -m -f /dev/rmt/1ubn
    sdlt320 tape stage.02 mounted on /dev/rmt/1ubn, write protected

Well, nothing happened; staging didn't resume, so I checked on it further.

Let's see the condition of my stage pool tapes...

    [root@<host>] /nsr/index # mminfo -ar
'volume,volaccess,volretent,state,pool' -q 'pool=stage'
     volume        vl access expires state  pool
    stage.01        01/23/09 02/27/09       stage
    stage.02        11/19/08  expired E     stage
    stage.03        12/10/08 01/09/09       stage
    stage.04        12/18/08 01/21/09       stage
    stage.05        01/13/09 02/16/09       stage

OK - stage.02 is recyclable, so it should be available for use. But, just
for giggles, let's just delete and relabel it anyway. Never mind that
according to the 'volretent' field, two other volumes should be already
recyclable. I've seen 'volretent' report wrong expiration dates for
years...

    [root@<host>] /nsr/index # nsrmm -d stage.02
    Delete file and media index entries for sdlt320 tape stage.02? y
    39077:nsrmm: error, sdlt320 tape stage.02 is currently mounted,
unmount it first

Oops - Forgot to unmount it first...

    [root@<host>] /nsr/index # nsrmm -u -f /dev/rmt/1ubn
    Unmounted device: /dev/rmt/1ubn

OK - It deletes properly now...

    [root@<host>] /nsr/index # nsrmm -d stage.02
    Delete file and media index entries for sdlt320 tape stage.02? y

So, let's now relabel it...

    [root@<host>] /nsr/index # nsrmm -l -f /dev/rmt/1ubn -b stage stage.02
    Volume `stage.02' is not recyclable - are you sure you want to
over-write it with a new label? y
    4267:nsrmm: No volume with name [stage.02] found in media database.

Say what? First it refuses to use it, then mminfo says it's expired and
recyclable, but nsrmm says first that it's not recyclable and then that it
doesn't exist. I realize nsrmm probably simply read the label from the
tape, but why did it first wrongly claim it wasn't recyclable? Maybe that
explains why nothing happened when I first mounted it up... ?

A bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks.