Networker

Re: [Networker] save set recover / directed recover

2008-12-03 08:47:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] save set recover / directed recover
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:42:49 +0000
Jóhannes Karl Karlsson wrote:
The nsrck -t "dd/mm/yyyy" -L7 client_name  command actually gave me this output:
"can't find index backups for 'hyperhub10.skyrr.is' on server"

But I was able to use the save set recover method. I used the "files" option to
mask out what I needed to restore.

But I find it strange that the save set recover method is able to recover this
old save set but the directed recovery does not.

Why is it at all strange? In order to do an index based recovery you need an index on disk. If you don't have the index, how can NetWorker present you a choice of files to recover? For a recyclable save set the index for the backup has already been deleted.

The only reason that you were able to recover individual files using save set recover was that you had prior knowledge of the filenames.

I find it strange that so many people using this product have so little understanding of the basic concepts of how the product works.