Networker

Re: [Networker] oracle hot backup with No rman catalog

2008-11-19 08:35:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] oracle hot backup with No rman catalog
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:31:47 -0500
Yes it is possible. In fact, it is required even with RMAN catalogs. In order
to backup the RMAN catalog, you can't use the RMAN catalog. The info about the
backup is saved in the control files. The biggest difference is that you can't
store scripts in the RMAN database. Then again, with Legato, you usually don't
anyway. You lose some reporting and flexibility, but with a single database, it
shouldn't be an issue. Just follow the instructions here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmarchi.htm#sthref40

Step 1) You need to configure controlfile autobackup to on. It's really
misnamed. The controlfile is always backed up, but changing this config makes
it store the control file in a separate namespace where it's easier for RMAN to
restore.

[oracle@maxwell rman]$ rman

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed Nov 19 08:27:31 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

RMAN> connect target sys/xxxxx@RMAN

connected to target database: RMAN (DBID=1467606383)

RMAN> configure controlfile autobackup on;

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
old RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
new RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
new RMAN configuration parameters are successfully stored

Step 2) For the legato client config you have to modify the nsrnmo script. I
make a copy of nsrnmo and rename it to nsrnmo_nocatalog. That's what I use in
the Legato client config for the backup command.  The important change in the
file is:

NSR_RMAN_ARGUMENTS="nocatalog"

Step 3) For the saveset field you use a path to a RMAN script. Here is the
script I use. Notice there is no connect to the RMAN catalog which makes it a
different script from our normal RMAN script.

connect target sys/xxxxx@RMAN

run {
        set command id to 'RMAN';

        allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE' parms
'ENV=(NSR_DATA_VOLUME_POOL=OTAFull)';

        backup database force format='/%d_DATA_%U/'
        plus archivelog force format='/%d_ARCH_%U/'
        delete all input;

        release channel t1;
        }