Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing Up Netapp LUNS

2008-09-19 12:34:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing Up Netapp LUNS
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:30:16 -0500
Hi,
We have been in the same boat for some time.
Here are my recommendations
Create smaller vmfs data stores i.e max 300-400 GB for performance and
manageability.
Need upto equal + more diskspace depending on change rate\backup method
and snap scedules\snap mirror etc.If you do not backup vmdk them may be
you can get away with 15-20 % more space per volume for other management
tasks within vm environment.
May need to keep open mind regarding VCB backups and best practices
regarding VMFS backups , i.e alternate products and methods, i,e obtaining
ESX ranger ( can strip out white space\compress\full & differential
backups) , Data Domain\Exagrid etc, not sure how good is Networker support
for VCB backup, until proven may need Host based backup, without extensive
integration with VCB VMDK backups are challenging and will take up lot of
space and time\interuptions to accomplish. ( keep an open mind-including
bringing in additional backup vendors to accomplish this tasks).
There are multitude of ways to accomplish backups of vm environment ,the
one that fits you best and is within your budget is a best solution, do
plenty of testing with recovery.
HTH

tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
09/19/2008 10:03 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Backing Up Netapp LUNS

I am in the process of using iSCSI LUNS as VMware datastores and am
looking for advice in backing up & restoring. As of now I have one LUN
that does not get backed up because there is not enought space for NDMP to
create the snapshot. So here are my questions...

I created a Volume of 600GB and then created the LUN to use all of the
space it could in that volume and then added 20% for snapshots which is
150GB additional.

Do I need to have 600GB free to match the 600GB I am using for Networker
NDMP to create it's snapshot?
or
Do I need the what ever space is actually being used by the VMs that
occupy that LUN?

Should I be making my LUNS smaller for ease of backup & recovery? I am
assuming that to recover a single VM I need to recover the entire LUN.

Would it be easier  backup & recover single VMS in a NFS share if I used
NFS shares for Datastores?

Thanks [Question]

|This was sent by troy.kutil AT milwaukeetool DOT com via Backup Central.

type