Networker

Re: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking backups

2008-05-20 23:43:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking backups
From: Thomas S Pinard <tom.pinard AT VERIZON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 03:32:39 +0000
On Thu, 15 May 2008, Peter Viertel wrote:

> I see those messages but the backup still works...    When there are
> multiple VIFs on a client there can be a problem when it chooses one of
> the VIF ip's as the source address for the outbounc tcp connection back
> t the networker servers.

By golly, you're right.  I added a client that had only 2 VIFs.  I watched
the logs - it complained about the VIFs but did do a succesful backup.  It
appears that it goes through the "VIF check" for every filesystem it comes
across to back up.  Unfortunately for the machine with 188 VIFs, it would
never finish the checking before the next day's backups started.

> You can put   save -c {mainclientname} in the backup command field and
> that often sorts it out, but you still get the messages, and sometimes
> it doesn't work still...

Thanks.  I'll give that a try and see what happens.

TomP