Networker

Re: [Networker] Waiting for writable volumes

2008-05-03 07:51:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Waiting for writable volumes
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 07:46:41 -0400
Try mounting a tape manually using nsrjb -lv <TAPEID>. One of three things
will happen:

1. It will fail. In that case, since you used the "verbose" option you
should have enough information to troubleshoot the problem.

2. It will work. Repeat until all outstanding tape mounts are satisfied.
You'll have to continue mounting tapes manually until the next time you have
a chance to stop/start NetWorker.

3. Sometimes after you do this once -- or enough times to satisfy all
pending mount requests -- NetWorker will take the hint and resume automatic
tape mounts. I don't know why it breaks or why mounting tapes manually fixes
it, but it does.

You might want to consider upgrading to a later version. This problem is
very rare on 7.2.x and probably nonexistent on 7.3 and beyond. However, I
don't know which versions are available for TRU64.

Good luck!

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Fri, 2 May 2008 19:07:03 -0400, Dennis Peacock
<networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> wrote:

>Legato 7.1.1 running on Tru64 version 5.1B
>Backup solution has been in place for a few years now.
>
>Several of our Legato servers report that they are waiting on writable
volumes when there are tapes in the libraries ready for use. We find backups
waiting on tapes when in fact the tapes are already in the library.

>For this problem:
>Tape library is a ESL9326 with 12 SDLT tape drives and the server has 8 CPU
with 32GB of memory and 4TB of disk.