Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up to CIFS, NFS

2008-03-21 07:38:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up to CIFS, NFS
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:30:28 -0400
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 at 1:05pm, lemons_terry AT emc DOT com wrote:

Cool; thanks, Francis.  Please tell me more about your storage nodes
(operating system, Ethernet cards, drivers).

My storage nodes are mostly IBM 3650's using the built-in and addon adapters with Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708 chips (so they support the jumbo frames -- beware of the BCM5721 chips as they do *NOT* support jumbo frames). The OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux/AS 4 (RHEL4) and the drivers are the bnx2 driver.

I do have one storage node that is an IBM x345 using the Intel 82546GB and 82546EB chipset.

The BCM5708 chips use the bnx2 driver, the Intel chips use the e1000 driver. Both are working very well using jumbo frames.

The problem I had that took a couple of hours of googling to resolve was the system that had the BCM5721 chips on the addon cards using the tg3 driver that simply does not support MTU's bigger than 1500.

If you would like anything else, let me know.