Networker

Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of

2008-03-07 11:29:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:26:14 +0000
On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 05:06:43AM -0500, Howard Martin wrote:
> It also depends on the either the st.conf settings or what Sun has built
> into the driver.

Yes, exactly.  When I said that it depends on the device, I really meant
the solaris device, not the hardware (although obviously that is
important as well).

> In st.conf there are 4 possible density settings coresponding to l,m,h and
> c however they can all be set to the same value or in an order that
> actually sets say the l device to compress.

True.  But it appears that most devices now make use of
ST_MODE_SEL_COMP, so that compression is not set by the density setting
at all.  Instead compression and non-compression devices share the same
density setting.

> Which reminds me I must ask Sun to publish what their inbuilt drivers
> settings actually are.

As the 'st' driver is part of the open source builds, you can find it
online:

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/io/scsi/targets/st_conf.c