Networker

[Networker] OT: Adding devices to a Solaris X86 host.

2007-12-13 22:38:53
Subject: [Networker] OT: Adding devices to a Solaris X86 host.
From: Brian Narkinsky <BNarkinsky AT CCLAFLORIDA DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:34:53 -0500
I apologize for the off topic nature of this post but, lots of storage experts
on this list.

In our disaster recovery site we have an VmWare ESX server with a Solaris 10
guest VM.  We use this VM to restore raw disk devices saved using rawasm
directive in order to perform initial synchronizations of new disks before the
FalconStor replication takes over.

Te process is that we
1) Present a LUN ot the ESX server
2) Configure it as a raw disk device on the Solaris x86 VM
3)  Perform as cfgadm -al and devfsadm -C -c disks.  And up until now the disk
would show up in /dev/rdsk/cntndn and /dev/dsk/cntndn.

So we went through this process yesterday and the disk would not show up.
Finally did a reconfiguration reboot and finally got the cfgadm -al output
shown below.  The disk shows up but, only /devices/sd7xxxx no /dev/dsk or
/dev/rdsk entries.  Tried removing and adding disks but no luck.

This server has had lots of disks being added and removed so we think we are up
against some limit caused by remnants being left.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian Narkinsky

# cfgadm -al
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
c1                             scsi-bus     connected    configured   unknown
c1::dsk/c1t0d0                 disk         connected    configured   unknown
<--- root disk
c1::dsk/c1t1d0                 disk         connected    configured   unknown
<--- rsync target LUN for Cypress
c1::dsk/c1t2d0                 disk         connected    configured   unknown
<--- rsync target LUN for Magnolia
c1::dsk/c1t4d0                 disk         connected    configured   unknown
<--- 1st new LUN we are trying to add
c1::lus0                       unknown      connected    configured   unknown
c1::rmt/1                      tape         connected    configured   unknown
c1::sd7                        disk         connected    configured   unknown
<--- 2nd new LUN we are trying to add