Networker

Re: [Networker] How to specify slot number of a library in a report?

2007-11-06 11:45:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to specify slot number of a library in a report?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:41:19 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
11/06/2007 10:52:40 AM:

> >> Yes, but the idea to just refer to the tapes volume name on an "nsrjb
> >> -w" command makes a lot more sense. That way, you allow NetWorker to
> >> figure out where the tape is by just giving nsrjb the name of the
> >> tape you want to remove from the tape library.
> >
> > I'll see what I can do. This server isn't ready to be fully  put in
> > production yet, hence the tech doesn't get there every day to
> > remove any
> > auto-ejected tapes. When it goes into production, of course, he'll
> > stop
> > there every day and remove the tape, so auto-ejecting shouldn't be a
> > problem. Until then, I guess I'll have to tell him to stop there
> > every day
> > to remove the tape.
> >
> > As long as there is only 1 tape per day, this should work. If the
> > job goes
> > to 2 tapes (and it will), tho, I won't be able to auto-eject all the
> > volumes made for that day. When that happens, it will be easier to
> > have
> > the email tell him which slots to eject when he gets to the site.
>
> Why? Wouldn't it be easier to have the operator simply eject based on
> volume name, rather than slot #?

It might, at that. He'd still have to tell NetWorker to eject the tapes.
Guess I'm still used to using BackupExec, where we used to eject from the
front panel of the autochanger, based on slot number, and re-inventory the
library as needed. I suppose as long as he has the list of that day's
volumes (which we keep, as a record for our offsite tape management
service), he should have all he needs.

> I have a sneaking feeling you plan  to just pull tapes out of the tape
library without using "nsrjb -w"
> in which case you will do yourself more harm than good.

I thought about trying it, but no, I'd prefer not to.

> Why? Because when you change the state of a NetWorker tape library
outside of
> NetWorker (i.e., using the library's controls to add/remove tapes
> instead of nsrjb), your tape library's contents will not be reflected
> within NetWorker accurately.

True. It's a small enough library (8 slots), though, that a scheduled
scripted library inventory before it started it's nightly job would be
feasible (altho silly :-)).