Networker

Re: [Networker] Mixed LTO tapes in a library

2007-08-25 18:08:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Mixed LTO tapes in a library
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 01:00:25 +0300
We recently replaced our LTO-2 library (with IBM drives) with a new LTO-3 library (with HP drives). All media was moved from the old library to the new one with no apparent problem. All tapes are written and read in the new library. So we had LTO-2 cartridges which were written in an LTO-2 drive and read in an LTO-3 drive. I just checked and all media is marked as LTO-3 media. This is probably because it resides in a library with LTO-3 drives.

John Hope-Bailie wrote:
We have a situation where there are numerous LTO-2 tapes exist with
historical backups.
We now intend to upgrade all of the tape drives in the library to LTO-3. We would use LTO-3 media for new backups, but would need to recover off
older media.
As I understand it, the new tape drives would be defined within
NetWorker as LTO Ultrium-3.
This would cause all of the new media to also be defined as media type
LTO Ultrium-3 as it is labelled.
This would also prevent any of the old tapes defined as media type LTO
Ultrium-2 from being loaded into the new drives, although physically,
the tape drives could read and write to this media.
Do I understand it correctly ? Is there any workaround / compromise ? Thanks, John Hope-Bailie

-- Yaron.