Networker

Re: [Networker] archive bit is not being reset during backups

2007-07-20 06:52:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] archive bit is not being reset during backups
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:49:25 +0100
This Linux Client is actually an Adaptec Snap server. It runs a linux base OS
and the networker linux client is supported to back it up. But it is used to
create shares and present them to the network for file storage, disk backup etc

  We have an application that is using one of the shares to archive data to.
The application complains when its archived files are showing the archive bit
as as far as it is concerned they have nto been backed up. In this case the
application server is win2003 and the share is CIFS.

  So I guess that my problem is that I have a Linux based backup of a share
that is holding data for a windows application. This application requires that
the archive bit is reset on all files!

  I think there is a tool avaialble to remove the archive bit of all files and
its use is recommended withthe applicaiton for some similar problems. This may
be the answer to this problem.

  Thanks, Mark
Yaron Zabary <yaron AT aristo.tau.ac DOT il> wrote:
  mark wragge wrote:
> I have an unusual problem in that the archive bit is not being reset on any
> files during full or incremental backups on my Linux Client using networker v
> 7.3.2. The puzzling thing is that the incremental backups are backing up the
> correct amount of data. The total amount of data is 400gb and the nightly
> incrementals are approx 80mb.
>
> Why is the archive bit not being reset on the files?
> Why are the incremental backups backing up the correct amount of data if they
> are meant to use the archive bit to determine which files to back up?
> How does a Linux client decide which files to backup during an incremental
> backup?

Linux/Unix does not have an archive bit, so a Linux client cannot
reset it. On Unix clients the backups is performed based on comparing
the date of the last successful back at the relevant level and the 'last
modified date' in the files inode (also see my letter about the Linux
bug with the open (O_CREATE) system call which does not modify mtime,
just ctime).

How can you tell that the archive bit is not set ? ls -l will not
show such an attribute. Do you use SMB ?

> Thanks

> this list. You can access the archives at

-- Yaron.