Networker

Re: [Networker] Using tape libraries not listed in Legato's compatibility guide?

2007-03-07 17:54:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using tape libraries not listed in Legato's compatibility guide?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:46:23 +1100
Hi George,

> How important is it that a tape library be listed in Legato's hardware
> compatibility guide?

Moderately important.

Usually the most leeway exists in situations where it's an OEM rebadged
library.

For instance, I was installing NetWorker for 2+ years on Dell PowerVault
136T tape libraries with Linux systems when it wasn't in the compatibility
list, even though the ADIC Scalar 100 (what the PV is) was in the
compatibility guide. I.e., the firmware changes were minimal enough that it
wasn't an issue.

> I was looking at a Quantum I500 series library with LTO-3, but it's not
> listed in this document, but, of course, LTO-3 is largely supported.
> Obviously, Legato can't test everything, but it is comforting to know
> you have something that they
> have officially sanctioned. Thing is, though, that a lot of the
> libraries listed are now EOL. Seems a lot of newer stuff is out there
> now but may not be on the list.

On the flip-side, every time I had a support issue with such a unit it was a
*huge* hoop-jumping exercise. Ironically enough it was never a problem with
stasndard support, but if I got cases escalated to PSEs it was quite
difficult to get them to see past the unqualified tape library.

If the Quantum I500 Series is listed in the hardware compatibility guide,
and the LTO-3 drives to be used are also listed in the hardware
compatibility guide, then there's a reasonably good chance that what you're
wanting to get should be compatible. However, at the end of the day there's
always the risk that there's going to be a problem.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
http://www.anywebdb.com