Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell Netware issues

2006-12-12 23:33:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell Netware issues
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:22:27 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Novell Netware issues, Kevin Malone said (at...:

The save set volume issues does not appear to be a function of the
release of Networker.

It is, but you've apparently determined that it's also dependent on
the release of NetWare you're using.  That's news to me.

If you try the NetWorker 4.22 client on NetWare 6.5, you'll see that
it uses continuation savesets.  *Every* version 4.x client used
continuation savesets, generally at the 2 GB mark.  It was only in the
5.x series that NetWorker no longer needed them.

It's very encouraging to see Ryan's email about the 7.2.1 NetWare client.
We still haven't migrated to using that here because our backups have
been (and I'm probably jinxing something here) pretty stable on NetWare
for a while now.  My experience and the experience of our NetWare guys
is that if you can get NetWorker working reliably on NetWare, *don't
touch it!*  ;-)

We would, however, like to migrate to using the 7.2.x client.  Last
we heard, it was still fairly difficult to get it working reliably.
It seemed like it involved a lot of trial and error.  As I recall,
last time we looked at the 7.2.1 client on NetWare, it required backreving
a bunch of NetWare NLMs, fetching some secret NLM from a hidden area
of EMC's ftp site, and IIRC, some chanting.  We didn't do the chanting
correctly and eventually decided to wait until there was a 7.3.x client
for NetWare.

So, has all that changed?  Is it now the case that one can be at the
latest SP and latest TCPIP updates and get the client to work, rather
than requiring that you *not* be at the latest versions of these?

Also, for the sites that are backing up GroupWise, are you using the /GW switch (or whatever it is, I'm not NetWare saavy) to TSAFS?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)