Networker

[Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-08 15:55:41
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 15:52:29 -0500
Since I know a few people on this list are interested in backing up new Macs, I thought I would discuss the testing I did today.

My curiosity finally got the better of me. I brought my MacBook Pro (first generation) to work today, put it on our network and then I did three things.

First, I installed Windows Vista Enterprise Edition via Parallels. The installation went fairly smoothly. I think had to spend a bit of time figuring out how to get Windows Vista to see my network, turn off the security crap, and I finally got to install the NetWorker 7.2.2 client on it. I then was able to start the NetWorker remote service after configuring it to see my NetWorker 7.2.1 server. I then created a small file and I backed up the entire installation (i.e., C: \ drive). The backup worked okay, except that it failed to do the ASR thing and I suspect it failed to create something I could use in a bare metal restore, due to the errors I received; however, it did back up my small amount of data and I was able to recover the data fine. I figure that EMC will come out with a Windows Vista aware client pretty soon, but that's just an assumption on my part.

I then shut down Vista and I installed the latest NetWorker for Mac client. I am running a fully patched and updated system on my MacBook Pro. I installed the client on my MBP, then I changed the start up script to point to my backup server. Trouble is, I could not get any nsrexecd daemons to run at all. They generate a crash long which I cannot interpret.

Several days ago, I submitted a service request via the powerlink web site to ask about the availability of a NetWorker client for Intel- based Macs. While I was at it, I also asked about an official FreeBSD client. I checked today and that request does not appear to exist now. Sigh!

I don't see why I can run the Windows version of the NetWorker client on my Intel-based Mac, but not the Mac OS X version. Its the same hardware and the Mac's file system hasn't changed in ages as far as I know.

So, that's my experience with trying NetWorker backups on an Intel- based Mac. I am hoping that an Intel-based client is offered for NetWorker, esp. since I will soon have a MacPro sitting on my disk and I have one department who will probably want to set up an Apple Xserve to host about 1TB worth of data.

If anyone else on this list has managed to have a dialogue with an EMC official on this subject, please let me know.