Networker

Re: [Networker] Disaster Recovery on a different server

2006-09-29 11:04:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disaster Recovery on a different server
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:58:50 -0500
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 04:13:10PM -0400, Brian Narkinsky wrote:
> We just went through a DR exercise.  We were able to recover the client
> indexes to a separate server.  Basically we TARed up the client indexes
> moved them to the DR server, defined the client and then performed an
> NSRCK -L 7 on the DR Networker Server.

If you tarred and moved the indexes back into place on the new server,
that's not the same thing as an nsrck -L7 off tape.  IIRC, that's where
I ran into the renaming snag.  And I want to say it was something weird
and undocumented that resolved it, like making the
/nsr/debug/no_striped_recover file.

The moral of the story for DR efforts: assume nothing and dry run test
everything first.

Dave