Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning idle read and write

2006-03-13 11:23:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning idle read and write
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:18:05 +0000
Hi Jonny,
Sounds remarkably familiar..

I've had a case open on this hang situation with Legato support for about 18 months now. I know another customer at Nokia is having the same issue. It seems to be specific to Solaris, and cloning on Storage nodes. The HBA's, drives, IP network, specific versions of Networker don't seem to make any difference to the symptom.

We first saw the issue on 7.1.1. We're now on 7.2.1 because the Networker development team said that changes had been made to the tape selection code (the bit where the problem probably lays) in that release, but (as you've seen), no joy. The support analyst has asked that we start the investigation from the ground up again, so I'm loosing hope of the issue ever getting resolved. We do a large quantity of cloning, but currently the Master server (a VERY hard working E280) is having to do all the work, as the Storage nodes get in to this hang state.

Feel free to e-mail direct if you want further info, or are willing to add your voice to our efforts to get Legato to fix this.

Thanks
Will

Johnny Tran wrote:

Hi

This is my first post to this list, I have been lurking for quite a while
now.

We are running Networker Server 7.2.1.Build.311 on a Sun Fire 480R on
Solaris 8.

One of the backup clients has 2 stand-alone DLT7000 tape drives, running on
a UltraSPARC 2 on Solaris 2.6
It is running Networker Client 6.1.3.Build.428

The backup runs successfully. The cloning is then run, however near
completion I see in the nwadmin GUI

reading, idle
writing, idle

And will it remain that way until I kill the nsrclone process.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Cheers
Johnny

"signoff networker" in the