Networker

[Networker] staging

2005-10-11 11:19:09
Subject: [Networker] staging
From: Terrence R Haupt <Terrence.Haupt AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:17:47 -0500
Morning all,

I am sure that this is not a NetWorker problem, but I thought that maybe
someone else who is doing disk to disk staging may have run across this or
something similar.

I have 3 Storage Nodes for disk to disk backups

Server          V880    Solaris 8       NW 7.1.3
Client 1                E450    Solaris 8       NW 7.1.3        Veritas
Volume manager 3.1 and VXFS 3.4 HP EMA disk array
Client 2        V1280   Solaris 8       NW 7.1.3        Veritas 3.5     HP
EVA disk array
Client 3                V1280   Solaris 8       NW 7.1.3        Veritas
3.5                                     HP EVA disk array

Client 1 has 10 700 GB luns and is working great.

Clients 2 and 3 have 1 1.8 TB lun each, but are having issues with the
disk devices staying online.  I created these volumes from 4 volumes that
were no longer going to be used.  They are 914 GB Raid 5 luns, i took 2 of
them and striped then created a 1.8 TB filesystem, at first i though it
was because they were in different EVA's but yesterday I rebuilt each of
them and kept the disks in the same array.  They run great for a day or so
and then develop some issues....

root@gdmsdocprod:/ # df -k |grep gdmsback
df: cannot statvfs /gdmsback: I/O error

root@gdmsdocprod:/ # fsck -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/GDMSAPPWK01/gdmbackup
UX:vxfs fsck: ERROR: cannot stat /dev/vx/rdsk/GDMSAPPWK01/gdmbackup

root@gdmsdocprod:/ # tail /var/adm/messages
Oct 11 03:50:16 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 550999 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
659 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57531 marked bad
Oct 11 03:50:46 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 551799 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
660 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57373 marked bad
Oct 11 03:50:46 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 679277 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
661 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57470 marked bad
Oct 11 03:50:46 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 551288 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
662 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57532 marked bad
Oct 11 03:51:16 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 552919 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
663 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57375 marked bad
Oct 11 03:51:16 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 679885 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
664 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57471 marked bad
Oct 11 03:51:16 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 551896 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
665 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57533 marked bad
Oct 11 03:51:46 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 552440 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
666 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57534 marked bad
Oct 11 03:52:16 gdmsdocprod vxfs: [ID 552984 kern.warning] WARNING: msgcnt
667 vxfs: mesg 057: vx_esum_bad - /dev/
vx/dsk/D2D_BACKUP/backup file system extent allocation unit summary number
57535 marked bad

In order to fix this i have to unmount the filesystem and run fsck
(occasionally i have to fsck it twice) from the veritas GUI then remount
the filesystem.

My guess is that it is the size of the volume that is creating my head
aches but then again its under the 2 TB limit.  If anyone else has seen
these sort of problems and have a solution/workaround...  I would
appreciate it.

Thanks

Terry

Terrence R. Haupt
SR UNIX Systems Administrator
WIN, Technology Engineering
Abbott Laboratories
Ph: 847-938-2375 Cell: 847-878-1057
Text MSG 8478781057 AT messaging.nextel DOT com
Nextel Direct Connect 111*4737*123
terrence.haupt AT abbott DOT com