Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker for NetWare 7.2... anybody!?

2005-09-22 17:38:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker for NetWare 7.2... anybody!?
From: George Raetzke <A02GAR1 AT WPO.CSO.NIU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:32:40 -0500
Results of some more testing....

 Deploy client via ZFS to multiple servers
=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      Built a zen for server package that installs networker 7.2, seems
good so far.  I can write-up what I did if others are interested...

Determine minimum number of servers needed to saturate out
30MByte/second tape drives
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
     With five servers (hp dl380, g3, onboard scsi with mirrored pair
of disks), I was able to get the tape drive up to 30MB/sec, the overall
speed for the entire backup was 26,527KBytes/sec.  This was doing full
backups, and the files used were all large files.  With normal data it
might take another server or two to get this speed.

Restore Test
=-=-=-=-=-=-
During the restore testing I ran into several error messages, but
nothing that appears to be a showstopper.   I did see the "on decoding
the credential: the authentication credential was corrupted, the
checksums do not match" message several times.  This is in the release
notes page 17.

The next issue is at the end of a restore using our production solaris
backup server, it would attempt to mount one of our adv_file disk backup
volumes that is on our storagenode over on the main backup server.  This
made no sense.  We opened a ticket with legato, and they are working on
this now.  Their initial guess was that some of the patches running on
the solaris box might be causing some problems, as they didn't think
they had tested with those patches during the beta cycle.
This problem didn't occur when I did the restores from my SuSe box, but
that was running a stock network 7.1.3 (not patched).

The regular restore issue that I see is that when I was doing a restore
of a sys: volume to data:restore2, at the end of the restore it listed
several files that it didn't restore.  No reason why, just:

Didn't recover requested file
DATA:/restore2/SYS/SYSTEM/BACKSP3/BOOT/FILESYS.NLM
Didn't recover requested file
DATA:/restore2/SYS/SYSTEM/BACKSP3/BOOT/FLOPPY.HAM
Didn't recover requested file
DATA:/restore2/SYS/SYSTEM/BACKSP3/BOOT/FPSM.NLM
...etc

The only thing that I can see in common so far is that these files
namespace is DOS...  I don't see any known limitation on this one...
might need to open a ticket with legato on this one...

 Directed Restore test
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Seems to work as expected.  With the exception of clustering, but I
talk about in the next section

Cluster Server Backup/Restore
=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-
I was able to setup a virtual cluster object in legato, and I backed up
the server.  The restore is a little different.  Before you do the
restore you have to do a change client which is right under the change
server in the menu, and you can only pick the virtual servers that are
currently running on that cluster node...and once you do that you can't
change back to the physical server.  I pointed that out to legato, right
now the only way back to the physical server is to unload the user
program and reload it.

I also tried to do a directed restore of a clustered virtual server,
and it kinda works.  You just can't selected a cluster resource as the
target for the data, if you do it won't be able to locate it to place
the data.    I would think that this shouldn't be too too hard for them
to fix, since they are able to talk the cluster resource if you go into
the client select code...  It also might make it more straight forward
to just have the cluster restores done as directed rather then doing the
change client method (if they got it to work...)

That's all for today...

Oh, has anyone asked how the licensing for this works under clustering?
  We had someone call legato and the sales force didn't even know the
supported clustering, much less how the license were done.   Looking at
the way we set it up it looks like each virtual cluster server is going
to take up a client license, if so that is going to stink as I have
several dozen virtual servers....

George A. Raetzke, CNE & LPIC-1
Senior Systems Programmer
Enterprise System Support