Networker

Re: [Networker] index space requirements

2005-03-01 16:54:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] index space requirements
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:49:39 -0500
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Paula Ehn wrote:

>I was wondering if there is a certain percentage of disk space that needs to be
>free for indexes to grow or use to update themselves.
>
>We're running Networker v.7.1.1 on Solaris 9 right now and the indexes are
>taking up about 37% of the disk space on a 33GB patition. There is nothing else
>on this partition but indexes.
>
>Our previous backups admin here told me not to let them take more than 33% of
>the disk space. All seems to be running fine as is but I'm just wondering for
>how long.
>
>Should I install larger disks to give the indexes more room? Is there a magic
>percentage of disk space that needs to be free?

I was taught that you need at least twice as much available disk space as
your largest client's index. My Solaris 9 NetWorker 7.1.3 server is
running at 63% right now for its index volume, which also contains the
media database, the nsr logs, and other NSR stuff, such as the res
directory. This is all on a StoreEdge A1000 that's RAIDed.

We're probably going to move our NSR index files to a larger volume on a
SAN in a few months because I do expect to use a lot more disk space as we
add additional clients to back up. So far though, I haven't run into any
problems as a result of us running with our /nsr volume at 63% of
capacity. We were at 61% for several months, but I recently added some
large clients, so it pushed it up some.