Networker

Re: [Networker] Convert server to storage node

2004-08-09 10:51:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Convert server to storage node
From: Somen Chanda <schanda AT NETJETS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:50:41 -0400
Thank you all for all your responses. From all the email I received I
have made a summary of all the steps to do this flip.

(Let say the server name in question is A)

1. Stop networker processes on the NSR server A.
2. Unmount old /nsr filesystem.
3. Mount new /nsr filesystem.
4. Enter all the existing license
5. Run jbconfig(to configure the library)
6. Make sure backups can be done using the new Storage Node config.

Now when we need to restore:
1.      Stop networker processes.
2.      Rename the new /nsr  to /nsr.SN
3.      mount the old /nsr to /nsr
4.      Start all the Netwroker processes including the server process
by touching the file /nsr/runasserver and modifying the script as below:

if [ -f /usr/sbin/nsrd -a ! -f /usr/sbin/NetWorker.clustersvr -a -f
/nsr/runasserver ]; then

5.      Restore from tape.
6.      Stop NSR processes when restore activities are over.
7.      Move back the nsr.SN to /nsr
8.      To reconfigure as a storage node, do
                rm -f /nsr/runasserver and restart networker.

Please let me know if this will work and looks right.

Thanks in advance.

Somen