Networker

[Networker] migrating solstice backup server

2004-07-14 14:42:42
Subject: [Networker] migrating solstice backup server
From: Mary-Charles Nassif <nassif AT MED.UNC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:32:24 -0400
I am getting ready to do a host transfer of our Solstice Backup server
and I wanted to make sure I have the correct procedure, as I am a bit of
a novice.  For the most part, I followed the instructions in the
Administrator's Guide and added my own notes in between.  Here is a link
to my working document, http://www.med.unc.edu/~nassif/backupServer.htm.
 Any assistance will be very much appreciated!

Additional information:
Current server: Solaris 8
New server: Solaris 9
Solstice Backup version: 6.1 Build 186.

Some specific questions:
After installing the Solstice Backup server software on the new server,
why should you not select the option to start the daemons, if you have
an autochanger?  Is this just for the initial bootup?

The part of the procedure about defining the index entry, that is done
on the new server, correct?  Therefore we will need to start up the
daemons manually, if they are not selected to start on boot up?
These two questions are mostly because I didn't understand what the deal
was with starting up the daemons.

The first step under defining the index entry is to create a new
hostname for the new server with the same configuration as the old
server...is there any way to 'copy' the configuration from the old
server to the new one, instead of just re-entering the information?

As for a backout procedure, in case something goes seriously wrong, we
should just be able to shut down the new server, reconnect the jukebox
back up to our old server and start everything back up on it, correct?

I really appreciate any feedback you can provide, and aside from my
questions, if there is anything you see missing in my documentation
please let me know.  I'm trying to make this procedure go as smoothly as
possible.