Networker

Re: [Networker] NSR613 and "nsrd: Jukebox 'rd=<storage node>' failed: server is busy, please retry request"

2003-06-09 09:12:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSR613 and "nsrd: Jukebox 'rd=<storage node>' failed: server is busy, please retry request"
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT ASTRO.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:11:36 -0400
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Dale Mayes wrote:

>Thierry,
>
>Welcome to 6.1.3.
>
>I average about 20 of these a day.
>
>Supposed to be "fixed" in 7.x, but I won't go there until at least the
>first maintenance version is released.

Same here. My experience with 6.1.3 under Solaris 9 on an Enterprise 450
has not been good so far, in the three weeks I have ben using it. Every
other day or so, the Legato server comes to a near halt and tape mounts
and unmounts take hours to be processed. I have opened a problem with
Legato about this 3055074 and each suggestion they make works for a day or
so, then the problem comes back. The last thing the Legato folks had me do
is delete numerous files in the /nsr/res directory to cause the media
database to be rebuilt. That worked fine for Thursday night and than the
problem appeared again on Friday night.

Prior to that, I have replaced the nsrjb, ansrd, and nsrd binaries with
hotfix versions that Legato supplied. These too worked fine for a day or
two before the problem returned.

Saturday morning, I cleared out the files from /nsr/tmp after shutting
down the nsr daemons, then rebooted our server. The server seems to have
worked fine since than, but I noticed this morning one tape drive in our
tape library is considered "ready for writing, idle" in the nwadmin GUI
although there are no backups in progress, no sg.* files in /nsr/tmp and
no "savegrp"  processes going. I have sent email to Legato to ask about
this.

In addition, our NetWare backups are failing on rpc errors. I have a
problem opened about that too with Legato.

This is all after migrating from NSR 6.1.1 on a Tru64 Unix system, which
we have outgrown.