Networker

Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 14 Apr 2003 to 15 Apr 2003 (#2003-103)

2003-04-16 16:43:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 14 Apr 2003 to 15 Apr 2003 (#2003-103)
From: Jim McAlarney <JMcAlarney AT HUBER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:43:13 -0400
I can help a little bit with AIX.  Someone else will have to help with
HP/UX.

1) cfgmgr discovers and configures devices on AIX.  You may have to
install tape drivers if your drives are not part of the bos (basic
operating system) image.  If your drives are in an autochanger cfgmgr
will create an smc0 device for the robotics.  You'll need to use "rmdev
-l smc0" to get rid of that or Legato will report that the library is
busy.  Everytime cfgmgr runs (and it runs during a reboot) the smc0
device will be recreated.  I finally put a cron job in place that ran
before my backups that removed smc0.

2) smitty is the menu-based administration interface on AIX.  HP-UX has
a similar system (sam, I think).  The first menu option in smitty is for
software maintenance.  Drill down in there to see what is installed.
This is also where you go to install and upgrade drivers and software.
The F6 key will show you what command is actually being run.  lslpp with
some flags that I don't remember is the equivalent of pkginfo.

3) If you've rebooted the AIX machine and it didn't find the tape
drives, you probably need to install drivers.  My 3570 tape drives
required an install.  My AIT-3 drives were just recognized as "Other
SCSI tape".  The third menu choice in smitty works on devices.  Near the
bottom of the next list is a command to list devices.  See if your tape
drives show up in the list.  The inquire command should list them if you
find them in this list.  I'm guessing you need to install drivers.

4) HP-UX: don't know

5) We've found stuff on www.deja.com that's helped us with bizarre
things on our AIX machines.  There are a bunch of IBM manuals online at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ds_form?lang=en_US

By the way smit is an X-windows application with buttons and stuff,
smitty is command-line.

---
Jim McAlarney                                         Huber Engineered
Materials
phone:  404-949-5505                              4401 Northside
Parkway
fax:       404-949-1305                              Suite 600
jmcalarney AT huber DOT com                            Atlanta, GA  30327