Networker

Re: [Networker] Persitent Binding on an HBA

2003-04-14 08:03:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persitent Binding on an HBA
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:03:22 -0400
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:41:55 -0400, Narkinsky, Brian
<Brian.Narkinsky AT DEP.STATE.FL DOT US> wrote:

>We are currently re-architecting our SAN.  I have had problems with out
Tape
>drives not coming up in the same order after reboot.
>
>The advice I have received included enable persistent binding on the
HBAs.  I
>have found out how to do this on the HP web site.
>
>My question is why is this off by default?  Am I losing anything by going
>persistent binding?   IT seems to me to be a good idea to always no what
>address everything is going to be at.

There is no down side to persistent binding, other than a couple of minutes
extra work to do it right in the first place. Some volume managers can do
the job of allocating disks to the right place without persistent binding,
but for tapes it is best to use persistent binding, and personally I would
never use an HBA for tape drives without using persistent binding.