Networker

Re: [Networker] How to reserve a drive in a jukebox?

2003-03-17 10:06:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to reserve a drive in a jukebox?
From: Aurea Cruz <aurecruz AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:06:11 -0600
George,

> If you have plenty of unused "target sessions"
> available in your jukebox and configure (or
> reconfigure) one device to have "target
> sessions" of 1, nsrd will tend to avoid using that
> device.

Is this really true?

My understanding is that a device is filled up to
satisfiy the number of target sessions and then it
goes on to choose the next drive. Your statement might
be true while selecting idle drives, but I have not
seen networker feed drives in parallel just because
the free target sessions fall under what the others
might have.

Assume target sessions =   4+4+4+1 and  a group with
14 streams starting. I am almost sure the last drive
would anyway receive 2 streams, because target
sessions is not a borderline, just a guideline. My
server parallelism was set to 14, 6 more streams than
my 2 drives are supposed to take (an initial config
mistake), and I have seen  at least 10 sessions
running.

I don't mean to nag, it's just my way of "learning" .

Regards,
Aure.