Networker

[Networker] how to handle software compressed data on a NetWare client

2003-03-07 08:47:38
Subject: [Networker] how to handle software compressed data on a NetWare client
From: Jim Lane <JLane AT TORONTOHYDRO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:47:09 -0500
Hi, All

I guess today is "confusion day". another thing I'm confused about is
what's the right way to handle backing up data from a NetWare client
that is stored using software compression by NetWare itself? the problem
case is a large file server. it has about 170GB of compressed data
consisting of about 1,000,000 smallish files. the backup of this monster
is painfully slow and I'm wondering if I'm uncompressing and
recompressing data along the way. unfortunately I'm absolutely ignorant
about NetWare so I have to try and translate back and forth between
Networker/UNIX which I understand and the client side which I don't.
anyway, what, if anything, should I be telling the NetWare guy to do
here? actually here's another wrinkle on this. am I correct in assuming
that Networker is treating a client like this as a logical backup, ie
opening, reading and closing each file as it goes along? back in the
good old days (mainframes) the ugly scalability of something like this
was dealt with by "physical backups", ie copying data in track and
cylinder images without regard to the logical layout. is there any
equivalent of this nowadays?

Jim Lane
Sr. Technical Consultant
Network Services