Networker

Re: [Networker] Storage Node backup

2003-03-03 13:50:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storage Node backup
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:50:15 -0500
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:50:22 -0500, Carl Farnsworth
<carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA> wrote:

>>From Unix Admin Guide, 6.1, p. 123:
>
>"When the server?s index and the bootstrap save set are backed up, the data
>writes to a device that is local to the NetWorker server. A bootstrap
>cannot be backed up to a remote device, but a bootstrap clone can be
>written to a remote device. If you use mmrecov to recover a bootstrap save
>set, you must recover the data from a local device."

The restriction about backing the index and bootstrap to a storage node was
removed in recent versions. Either it was later than 6.1 or the docs are
out of date.

Having said that, generally backing up your bootstrap to a storage node if
you don't have a tape device on the server would be a pretty dumb thing to
do - possible but dumb. It means that mmrecov would be extremely difficult
to run. Still, nice to see that Legato are now allowing us the flexibility
to do something dumb, just for those occasions when it might turn out to be
the least dumb thing to do, and I can think of one or two.