Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO vs SDLT

2003-02-14 07:46:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO vs SDLT
From: Irvine Short <irvine AT SANBI.AC DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:45:58 +0200
John Herlihy wrote:

We've found that our LTO customers are rock-solid compared to our SDLT
customers. LTO2 is just coming out, and is the current winner in terms
of native speed and capacity with 30MB/sec and 200GB. SDLT320 is
supposed to be much more reliable than SDLT220, but we've only just
started deploying it.. SDLT220 caused more trouble for us than it was
worth.

FWIW we had a very early Overland Neo with two SDLT drives in it. The
first drives were too new, with all kinds of errors, but a couple of
firmware updates cured that well over a year ago. Since then no hardware
problems and minor s/w problems until recently.

--

Irvine Short

Sys Admin
SANBI, University of the Western Cape, South Africa
http://www.sanbi.ac.za
tel: +27-21-959 3645
cel: +27-82-494 3828