Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Looping Scenario

2002-10-12 16:09:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Looping Scenario
From: Michael Seickert <seickert AT HARLIE.HAN DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:14:00 +0200
Hello Walther.

Try Networker 6.1.2 - that handles the cleaning bit much better...
We met the same problem in one of our installations.

Michael

Charles Walther schrieb:

> NW 6.1.1 for W2K on Proliant DL580
>
> Two Problems:
> Our Exabyte690d autoloader has a problem where it tries to load a tape into
> our DLT7000 drive and the drive light goes dirty.  Legato usually unloads
> the tape, then loads the cleaning cartridge before it tries to use the drive
> again.  This happens multiple times per night.  We go through a cleaning
> cartridge every couple of days. We have several hundred DLT-IV cartridges
> that Legato can't seem to handle, but when we take them to a standalone DLT7
> or 8000, they work just fine,  on load the drive light goes dirty, but then
> clears itself.    This happens when trying to label, or when a group calls
> for a mount.  We've replaced the exabyte, we've replaced the SCSI cables,
> but it appears that it's the way that Legato handles the load process -
> something is definitely different in 6.x from 5.x, or something is different
> in NT 2K from NT 4.0.  We have d/l'ed MS hotfixes for the DLT handling, but
> this did not help.  We have tried various DLT drivers, but we are stuck.
> Please help.
>
> Problem #2:
> Occasionally, Legato tries to unload, it starts issueing:
> \\.\Tapex Requires cleaning
>
> messages at the rate of 2-5 per second
>
> The drive tries to unload, but is not successful, therefore the messages
> just keep pooring out by the boatload.  This loop goes on until we manually
> eject, or the SAVEGROUP is stopped.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem ?   This started when we upgraded
> from NT 4.0, Legato 5.5.1 to Win2K and Legato 6.1.1.
>
> --
> Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff" command via email

Michael Seickert

Michael Seickert         Fujitsu Siemens Computer
System Engineer          Competence Center Storage
                         Hildesheimer Str. 25
                         30880 Laatzen
                         Germany

Tel:   0511/8489-1813
Fax:   0511/8489-2899
Mobil: 0170/5611830

Email: michael.seickert AT fujitsu-siemens DOT com