Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode Labels ( 6charactors-- 8charactors ?)

2002-10-09 05:45:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode Labels ( 6charactors-- 8charactors ?)
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 05:45:42 -0400
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 06:15:15 +0200, Rahul Parasnis
<rahul.parasnis AT CREDITLYONNAIS DOT FR> wrote:

>We had purchased L20 (DLT7000), L40(LTO Drive ) with 6 charactor Barcode
>labels . Two days before we had a problem on one of the Jukebox and Support
>guys replaced the Hardware . Then we notice that our volumes are named as 7
>charactors , a Capital D is appearing for every label .
>
>We purchased 6 charator Barcode labels and for last charactor a small "D"
>letter is appearing which is NOW recognized by Jukebox bar code reader.
>After doing some  analysis we found hat there is a setting in L20 where you
>can define charactor lengh of barcode labels , which is set to 8 when
>hardware was replaced by support .
>
>Now obviously we are happy to have 8 charactor barcode labels , but problem
>is Old volumes are 6 charactor names , if we change L20 jukebox setting to
>8 charactor then those old labels are identified  as X X X 001D   instead
>of X X X 001.
>
>As Match volmes with barcode is set to true, do we will have problems in
>restoring ?
>I still want to go for 8 charactor Barcode labels anyway , how do I get
>around with this problem .

It will give you operational problems. When you inventory a tape it will
update the barcode field in the media database, so that will be OK, but
also consider what happens when you relabel tapes. Answer is - I don't
know. And for quite some time you will have a messy media database with
mixed formats. What happens in the future if you add a further jukebox that
doesn't have the capability of using long barcodes?

My advice would be to stick with 6 char barcodes and make your life a
little simpler.