Networker

Re: [Networker] large filesystem restores

2002-10-08 04:24:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] large filesystem restores
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 04:24:50 -0400
On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:56:11 -0400, rick pim <rick AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA> wrote:

>environment: solaris 5.8, networker 6.1.1
>
>in order to speed up backups on a large filesystem, directories are
>arranged as follows:
>  /export/home/home0
>  /export/home/home1
>  /export/home/home9
>
>this permits full backups to be spread over several nights. fine.
>
>last week we had to restore the filesystem. the person doing it used
>recover and simply started a single recover at /export/home. as could
>be predicted, this took a long time. the main bottleneck appears to
>have been the single restore thread using a single tape drive at a
>time. presumably we could have saved time by starting (say) two
>recovers at once, manually spreading them over the directories to be
>restored.
>
>the question is: is there any way to tell legato to (automatically)
>use more devices for a restore? is there any way to get recover to be
>a bit smarter wrt resource utilization?

I am currently working on a program to do this. It will be a utility that
schedules multiple saveset recovers, avoiding tape conflicts. I'm afraid it
won't be free software, due to the amount of time that needs to go into the
development and testing. If you are interested I can let you know when I
have pricing information available.